Last Chance Canyon- Camp Night 9

The next morning I made the worst mistake of the trip, and filled my pockets with most of the ten essentials to day hike the rest of the Last Chance Canyon trail. My ankle was still sore, and I thought a day of mostly pack-free hiking would be good. Originally, I had planned on camping in the same spot, but it was not a great spot, and I had been less than comfortable. So, I packed camp, and left my pack under a tree.

The trail climbed up the canyon wall, and for most of a mile was little more than a foot to 18" wide.

lc31

lc29

As I walked along this narrow ledge, 200 feet above the creek, I could see that something had been nibbling the blossoms off the of the yucca. Once the trail started back down into creek bottom, I discovered what:

lc32

a rangy bull. His back was too me, and the wind was in my face, so he had no idea I was there. I wanted to let him know that I was there, so he would not be surprised, or if there was a goring scheduled for today, to get it over with. He snorted, pawed the ground once, and ran off into the brush.

And the first reason why leaving my pack behind was the worst mistake of the trip? Because the was the most beautiful section of the canyon I had seen so far. And even more important, flat, smooth ground! I really should have spent the night here.

lc34

lc35

lc38

lc36



Just to finish out the trail, and to get out of the canyon a while, I bushwacked up the canyon wall, following a poly waterline.

lc42

lc40

It was while I was up out of the canyon that I first noticed the clouds building off in the distance. My pack and rain gear were three miles away. I started back down the trail quickly.

As I got back into the creek bottom, it started to sprinkle. Once I started back up the narrow trail, halfway up the canyon wall, I could hear thunder, and the wind started to pick up. I realized that I might have more to worry about than getting wet. Between the wind starting to howl, being up high with a lightning rod in each hand, I hadn't see the bull since the morning. I could picture meeting him up on the canyon wall, trying to hurry to get off the wall before the storm hit.

I'm not sure what I would have done had we met again, but the bull was never seen again. The wind really picked up, and during strong gusts I would flatten myself against the wall. I got off the high part of the trail as the rain picked up, and back to my pack before it was drenched. I spent a good long rest period sitting against a tree, just staying dry.

The storm slacked off, but the light rain stayed for most of the day. I wanted to camp in the lush creek area I had "discovered" but didn't want to get caught on the wall again. I ended up walking back up the trail, near where I had spent the first night, and slept in the shadow of a waterfall.

lc14

lc43

lc46

lc45

The storm also returned, and the winds really picked up. Lightning, thunder, roaring winds all night. I picked a pretty decent site though, I could hear the wind roaring through the canyon, but only felt a few of the stronger gusts. The rain started pouring, and kept up most of the night, and into the next morning.

lc3

The original plan was to pack up and head back to the lush area for at least a night, but the winds had to be at least 50mph out in the canyon. There was no way I was going to do that today. After that I was going to spend a night at White Oaks Spring, and maybe one more at Sitting Bull Spring before coming out at Sitting Bull Falls to end the trip.

I knew spring in the guads would be a gamble. I sat under the tarp in the rain until after lunch, with the wind and the rain doing nothing but getting worse. Once the rain let up a little (but the wind got worse) I made the choice to end the trip early.

Once I got back to the car, the radio mentioned gusts of 70mph.

lc2


lc1
I wish I could have finished out the trip, but I had a really great time, and this way there is a little more left to see I guess.


Comments

  1. I would've done the same thing and grounded my pack. Nothing worse than humping up a hill with all that gear on. Luckily, you had the foresight enough to notice the weather changing in your disfavor. Nice pic of the bull! Great photos of the terrain as well. Your camp site was nice - down from that opening in the ridge? Great placement Rowdy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Guadalupe Peak intro

Last Chance Canyon- Camp Night 8